Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fajitas with Roasted Peppers

I usually make fajitas in a skillet, with the usual onions, peppers, and chicken marinated in some worcestershire sauce, cumin, chili powder, and sometimes a splash of lemon or lime juice. But today I had a lot of peppers that I thought I should cook all at the same time, so I decided to use our new grill again and roast them all. I thought maybe they'd end up being to mushy for the fajitas, but they were actually better than they usually are. I can never get them the perfect still crunchy but not raw texture you get when you go to a restaurant, they are always either undercooked or overcooked. So maybe for authentic fajitas you won't want to try it this way, but they were very tasty and I'd make them this way again.

I roasted the peppers whole on one side of the grill. When I've roasted them on the stove, I've done it over low heat, but that seemed to be taking too long so I turned it up to medium. They pop and blister as they cook, and you rotate them until they are blackened on all sides. I cooked some chicken breasts over high heat on the other side of the grill. Then I took everything inside, and went to the skillet. I sauteed an onion until transparent, then tossed in the chicken sliced into strips and added my usual marinade ingredients as seasonings. The peppers need to cool until you can handle them without burning yourself, then you rub off the blackened skin, cut and clean out the seeds, then slice into strips. I threw about a pepper and a half into the fajitas, and then put the rest in the freezer. I don't know if they freeze well this way. I read in a book that you can freeze them but I don't know if they need to be treated differently before freezing. I'll let you know after I use them out of the freezer.

Back to the fajitas, I just warmed everything through and served with whole wheat tortillas, cheese, and a green salad. I really really liked doing the peppers this way, because they were soft and sweet, but still had a little crunch. My husband is usually not a big fan of the peppers in the fajitas, but they were less overwhelming this way, so he didn't pick them out like he sometimes does. The chicken was not as flavorful this way, I think next time I'd marinate them like I usually do, before grilling them. But of course the chicken was what the kids ate. And tortillas with cheese.

No comments: