Thursday, April 24, 2008

Best Ever Chicken and Almond Green Beans

I got this recipe at a recipe swap in college. I've recently become more aware of foods with high fructose corn syrup so I can avoid it, so when I made this I realized that the Worcestershire sauce had high fructose corn syrup. Do all Worcestershires have it or just this particular brand? If they all have it what could be used to substitute? Any ideas anyone? I don't know if I would call this chicken "best ever," but it is very good (and VERY EASY). And I couldn't think of a different name for it (except for Easiest Ever Chicken), so here is the recipe for Best Ever Chicken.

1 chicken breast for each person
Salt and pepper
Worcestershire sauce

rice or mashed potatoes (I have always used rice)

Preheat oven to 425. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts, then brown each side in a skillet for approximately 5 minutes. (I didn't realize until I was typing this up that I forgot this step. So I would say browning is optional.) Begin cooking the rice so it will be done when the chicken is. Place chicken upside down in a pan big enough to hold them relatively close together. Douse with Worcestershire sauce. Bake in oven for 10 minutes, turn, and douse once more (although I forgot the second dousing as well). Cook for another 10 minutes or until done. Serve over the rice.

I also made some green beans. I just steamed them in the microwave with a little lemon juice and water, melted a little butter over them and tossed in some sliced almonds. They were a little discolored when they cooked, was that from the lemon juice or just the quality of the green beans? Anyone know? But I liked the lemon taste so maybe next time I'll squeeze in the lemon after I cook them and see what happens.

Ratings:

Another winner. I hope that I can find a better Worcestershire sauce so I can continue making this. Everyone, every single person in the family, ate this chicken. The green beans were not as popular, but I serve vegetables on principle even if no one wants them. I liked them of course.

No comments: