Friday, April 11, 2008

Easy Burritos

Tonight we needed a portable dinner again. It was very simple, but each ingredient had a reason why I chose it so I'll mention each one. I've made all of these things from scratch except the cheese, and homemade is healthier, but on a day like today not practical.

Tortillas: tricky because most are made with shortening or lard, neither of which are healthy. I find that the namebrand, healthy-version tortillas don't taste very good, so I usually find better ones at Trader Joe's. This time I had Trader Joe's Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas.

Refried Beans: I've noticed that the vegetarian version has no trans fats, while the nonfat version does. It is less than 1/2 g per serving, therefore they can call it nonfat, but if you read the ingredients it is there.

Spanish Rice: I used a package here, too. I "dilute" it by adding the same amount of plain rice and doubling the water, so there is less sodium and other additivies per serving, and I don't notice much difference in flavor.

Cheese: I wish there were a healthy substitute for cheese! I used sharp cheddar, because with the sharper flavor you don't need to use as much, therefore less fat (and horomones which are carried in the fat. Even if you buy organic cheese, there are natural horomones), and I also found a reduced fat version that is made with 2% instead of whole milk. It is a tad healthier, but it really would be better not to eat it. But it is just so yummy.

So that was it. I made the rice in my rice cooker, warmed up the tortillas, so the warm tortillas and warm rice were enough to warm up the beans and cheese since they were sitting wrapped up for about 45 minutes before we got to them. I took along some apples and oranges also.

Ratings:

Me: It really doesn't matter what it tastes like when it is this easy. But they tasted good to boot.

Hubby: Yay! I actually got a compliment on dinner tonight! He really liked them. As usual, there is a reverse correlation between the time and effort invested and how much they are appreciated.

5YO: Opted for a grilled cheese sandwich when we got home. He asked why we didn't have pizza again this time. Maybe we will start doing Friday night pizza.

4YO: She only ate the fruit.

1YO: Since I had carefully planned to have a portable meal, he opened his burrito and ate the rice with his hands. I tried to show him how to eat it the right way, but he just pushed me away and ate his way. TWO of them.

No comments: