Saturday, April 5, 2008

Mexican Lasagna and Green Beans

Tonight I had to make dinner to take to a neighbor who just had a baby, so I decided on this because it was easy to make a huge batch. This recipe also from Robin Miller, you use the leftover chicken from Garlic-Lime Chicken I made a couple days ago, but I made some substitutions in order to make a big batch. Here is her recipe for Mexican Lasagna, that is not really mexican and not really lasagna, but it still tastes good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33070,00.html

I forgot to mention that I didn't include the olives in the other recipe, so I added a can of sliced black olives. I also added drained cans of black beans and white beans, so I could double the recipe without doubling the chicken. I substituted plain fat free yogurt for the sour cream. (I know you kill all the good bacteria when you cook it, but fat free sour cream has a bunch of unnatural additives in it so I prefer yogurt.) I also substituted a can of diced tomatoes with chiles for the salsa, and a can of green salsa for the chiles. Because that is what I had in the cupboard.

The green beans are a recipe from my MIL, I don't know where she got it, but she always serves it at holiday meals and it is always a hit. I didn't know canned green beans could taste so good. Although I can never make it quite as good as she does.

1 can green beans (or fresh, today I used fresh)
1/2 c. chicken broth
a few tablespoons olive oil
a few tablespoons vinegar
oregano
pepper
Mrs. Dash

Simmer everything together until heated through. This is one of those recipes that tastes better the longer it sits, so even make it the day before if you can.

Ratings:

Me: The lasagna was good and filling. It was a little too watery, maybe from the diced tomatoes since you can't really drain the can without losing everything. I just can't do storebought salsa anymore--my MIL's fault (she is from Mexico and makes unbelievable homemade salsa). Maybe I should keep some on hand just for this recipe. The green beans were better than sometimes, because I used fresh, and I let it simmer for awhile, then I turned off the heat and just left them there for a couple hours until dinner was ready.

Hubby: I think he actually liked this. Either that or he was famished.

5YO: He tasted it, liked it, ate it, asked for more, and then said it tasted like dirt. I ought to teach him respectful table manners. He filled up on some pineapple my MIL brought over.

4YO: Ate the leftover pizza from last night and some sliced cucumbers. She was happy.

1YO: Loved it. Ate two bowls full, even after eating apples and oranges right before dinner. Either he has much better eating habits than his big brother and sister, or he just hasn't learned to talk yet.

No comments: