Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lasagna and Homemade Bread

We had friends over for dinner so again I had to make a big batch of something. I made a big lasagna, homemade bread, and green salad. I think after this weekend I won't cook for a few days!

I make lasagna different everytime I make it. Actually, lately I haven't made real lasagna because I don't like using regular pasta with no nutritional value. I use a multigrain pasta (like Barilla Plus) but they don't have lasagna noodles, so I just use other shaped pasta and make a sort of lasagna casserole. But since we had invited friends I didn't want to serve too many of my unusual foods. I used regular lasagna noodles. This time I sauteed onions and garlic with ground turkey, and used a jar of marinara sauce. I don't bother to cook the noodles first, I just water down the sauce to make sure there is enough moisture. I put a layer of fresh spinach in it, and cottage cheese mixed with an egg. Simple. Cheap. They took seconds so it must have been okay.

The bread I try to make pretty often. It is easy, and healthier and cheaper than store bought bread. My 4YO loves it, she calls it "pan pan gran pan" (great big bread) from a book we read. I just mix it in my kitchen aid mixer. The original recipe called for half whole wheat half white, but I experimented a lot and actually like this ratio better.

1 1/2 T yeast
2 1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c honey
2 t salt
2 T oil
4 c whole wheat flour
2 1/4 c flour


Dissolve the yeast, water, and honey. Add the salt, oil, and whole wheat flour, mix well. Add 2 cups of the white flour and knead for 6-8 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add the remaining flour. Divide the dough in half and put into two loaf pans sprayed with non-stick spray. Spray the top of the loaf also, and put into an oven preheated to 225 and turn oven off. Leave in oven for 20-30 minutes until double. Then do not open oven, turn on to 350 and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to cool completely.


Ratings:


Me: I liked it, except I ran out of foil so the cheese got a little too toasty. The bread was a little crumbly, but the 4YO was helping me pour in the ingredients so it is not surprising that it wasn't exactly right.

Hubby: I think I did okay on this one. He ate it and even took leftovers to work.

5YO: Didn't want lasagna. Doesn't know what he's missing out on.

4YO: Same. But she loved the pan pan gran pan.

1YO: He liked the meat, but left the cheesy part and the big pieces of noodle. He ate the small noodle pieces, so it was probably a chewing issue.

No comments: