Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pancakes

As I suspected, I didn't want to do much cooking after last weekend. We ate leftovers one day, and then pancakes. And then the next day my husband had a dinner meeting so we had MORE pancakes!

Pancakes doesn't really merit a post, but I do use my own recipe that has whole grains and we use fruit, yogurt, applesauce, or low sugar jam on top so that it is healthier. (When they go to grandma and grandpa's house the kids always ask for white pancakes with syrup, even if it isn't breakfast time! I'm such a mean mom.)

I make this mix in a gallon size ziplock bag and it is so fast. You can mix up a batch before the griddle is hot.

10 c. whole grains (I generally use 6 c. whole wheat flour and 4 c. rolled oats)
3 c. powdered milk
1/3 c. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar

To make pancakes:

1 c. mix
1 egg
2 T. oil
3/4 c. water

I also like to add wheat germ and ground flaxseed, so I just use extra water to give it the right consistency. So easy.

Ratings:

Me: I need a new frying pan! I have to spray the pan between each pancake, and even then sometimes I have a mess stuck to the bottom. But dinner doesn't get much easier than this. They were very filling, and I had mine with blueberries.

Hubby: I know he doesn't feel like they are a real dinner, but at least he only had it one night instead of two. I've finally weaned him off eating his pancakes with ice cream. Why eat a whole wheat pancake if you put ice cream on it?

5YO: Pancakes and blueberries. He likes his blueberries still frozen. He calls them "crystals."

4YO: She had her pancakes with honey. I used to be able to avoid too sugary toppings until grandma and grandpa spoiled them. She played with blueberries, not sure how many she actually ate.

1YO: Pancakes and blueberries. Now he has purple fingers.

No comments: