Saturday, April 19, 2008

Leftover Extravaganza

Maybe a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but not dinner. "Leftovers" has gotten a bad connotation, so if we are having the same meal as a previous day, I call it by its original name. That seems to help a little. But sometimes we have little servings of this or that leftover, not enough to feed everyone but too much to stay in my fridge taking up room. So I invented "Leftover Extravaganza." Which my kids think is really funny (because you have to kind of say it with a flourish). I usually try to add something new to the mix, like bake some bread or cornbread, throw together a fresh salad, or whatever the meal needs. These meals sometimes are even more popular than the originals since there are so many choices.

Tonight I pulled out the leftovers, and then made a tiny package of thin steaks I had in the freezer that wouldn't have made a whole meal on its own. Took about 7 minutes to cook. Done.

No comments: