Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Butterflied Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon

I haven't watched Oprah in years, but once a long time ago when I did, I saw Nigella Lawson teach Oprah how to make this recipe. At first I was intimidated by "butterflying" a chicken, but it is actually very easy, you just cut down both sides of the backbone so the chicken will lay flat. (And I don't have good knives or anything.) Then it takes about half the time to roast than if you left it whole. I'm sure you could substitute any kind of seasonings. I like to freeze it, then let it thaw for a couple days in the fridge so the flavors really get into the chicken. By the way, there is a mistake, an onion is listed in the ingredients and then they never tell you what to do with it! Just cut it in quarters and toss in the bag with everything else.

I also made some brown rice in the rice cooker, I threw in some dried onions and minced garlic. I sauteed some spinach with garlic which I like but don't expect much from others. We also had some watermelon.

Ratings:

I think we have a winner this time. Everyone ate everything (except spinach as predicted) except the 4YO didn't try the chicken. Even hubby ate the spinach, I'm not sure if it is because he liked it or if he just feels obligated to eat what I serve. I think it is because everything has such a mild taste that it went over well.

No comments: