Thursday, April 3, 2008

Garlic-Lime Chicken and Potato Salad

How long do hard-boiled eggs last in the fridge? Hopefully since Easter until now. Note to self: Don't make 18 eggs next year.

This is my mom's recipe for Potato Salad Dressing.

2 T sugar
1 T flour
1/4 t. paprika
1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 c. vinegar or pickle juice
1/4 c. water
1 egg
1/2 t salt
pepper to taste
1 1/2 T canola oil

Whisk over very low heat until thickened. Add some dry minced onions. (Although I didn't have any today.) Mix with equal(ish) amount of mayonnaise. I use Smart Balance mayonnaise, it is not lowfat, but it is made with healthier oils compared to other mayos.

Everyone has their preferences about potato salad. I like black olives in mine, but my family does not so I leave them out. Also, not that potato salad is healthy, but I try to only make potato dishes where I can leave the skins on where most of the nutrients are. Here's how I made it today.

8-10 red, gold, and blue potatoes (I saw them at Trader Joe's and thought it would be fun to try. They taste like...potatoes.) cubed and boiled, skins on.
6 Easter eggs, cubed
2 stalks of celery, diced (including the leafy part that is the most flavorful, learned that trick from Rachael Ray)
1 dill pickle, diced

Mix everything with the salad dressing and chill for several hours. (Especially if you use the dry onions, give them plenty of time to absorb moisture or they will be crunchy.)

We had the potato salad with carrot sticks and Robin Miller's Garlic-Lime Chicken. This chicken has a great flavor, and you also use the leftovers with her Mexican Lasagna recipe that I'll be making on Saturday. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33067,00.html

Ratings:
I had to leave for a meeting before everyone ate, so you'll only get my review today.

The potato salad was nice and creamy, but just a little bland. It needs more pickles, or maybe some green onions since I didn't use dried. (But of course I used up my green onions in yesterday's stir fry.) The chicken was very yummy. I like recipes that keep the chicken moist like this. Do you think this recipe would turn out well in a crock pot? I used more cumin than the recipe called for just because I really like cumin.

No comments: