Friday, May 2, 2008

Scrambled Omelette

First an update on the frozen roasted peppers. A few days ago I made a veggie pizza and pulled a few out of the freezer, defrosted them, and put them on the pizza. Delicious. Then tonight, I did the same for my scrambled omelette, and they were perfect. So as far as I can tell, roasted peppers freeze and defrost without any issues.

I am not a morning person, so I save my breakfast recipes for dinner. My husband LOVES bacon, eggs, and hash browns, so I keep bacon and hash browns in the freezer for when I need a quick meal (for dinner of course. If it is breakfast pour yourself a bowl of cereal.) I don't like this meal much at all, except the eggs don't bother me. My favorite breakfast meal is omelettes, which I can usually make along with this meal without too much added work. Except that it is too tricky to make a whole perfect unbroken omelette, so I finally gave up trying since just stirring it all together tastes just the same. I think that maybe the way I make it is called a fritatta, but since I'm not sure exactly what makes a fritatta a fritatta I decided I better not call it a fritatta. So I call it scrambled omelette. Tonight it turned out fabulous, because of the roasted peppers (I'm so glad I made those!).

1/4 onion, diced
5 or 6 mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup roasted peppers, chopped
2 or 3 eggs, beaten (I used one whole egg and about 1/3 c eggbeaters)
grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar

In a small skillet over medium heat, saute onion for a few minutes, then add mushrooms for a few minutes, then peppers just until heated through. Pour eggs over the vegetables and let cook for a few minutes. Give them a stir and let them cook for a few more minutes. Once it is mostly cooked through, put cheese on top and place skillet in the oven (doesn't matter what temperature, just warm for a few minutes) until eggs are completely cooked and cheese is melted.

I loved my omelette, and everyone else loved their bacon, eggs, and hash browns.

Ok, while I'm talking about this meal, maybe I should mention what I like to drink with it, but maybe then everyone will think I'm crazy. But if you like the flavor of orange julius, you should give it a try. When we have orange juice, like we did tonight, I fill my cup a third of the way with milk, a splash of vanilla, and the rest of the cup with orange juice. (Sometimes I don't get the combination quite right and it isn't sweet enough so I just sprinkle a little sugar in.) I really like it, but I'm the only one.

No comments: