Monday, May 12, 2008

Chicken Soup With Lemon and Lentils

I needed something to make to go along with my husband's hamburgers, and I've been craving this soup. It is from a book I have called Quick Chicken by Rose Murray, but of course I don't follow the recipe exactly. Am I breaking copyright laws by putting it here? If I am, someone warn me.

First off, I didn't put chicken in tonight. I ran out of time. And the recipe calls for canned lentils added in the last five minutes, but I use dried and start them first. I also just realized the recipe calls for lemon zest, which I overlooked. Oops. I'll have to add it to the leftovers.

5 c chicken broth
2 c lentils
6 carrots, sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 t lemon zest
salt and pepper
1 c cilantro, chopped (original recipe calls for parsley, also good)
1/2 c lemon juice
2 t cumin

cooked brown rice

Rinse lentils. In a large stockpot, add lentils and broth, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer 10-15 minutes (while you chop). Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, lemon zest (and chicken if you want--4 breasts, once it is cooked, remove and dice and return to soup). Simmer 15 minutes more (adding water if it gets too dry) or until lentils are soft and vegetables are tender. Add cilantro, lemon juice, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.

Place a large spoonful of rice in each soup bowl and pour soup over top.

Ratings:
(I already mentioned in the hamburger post that only the baby and I ate it...)

Me: It was so delicious and refreshing. I'm a big fan of lentils, and the lemon in this makes it so flavorful. (Even though I forgot the zest!)

1YO: He left the carrots, but loved the rice. He always loves rice.

Li'l Sis: She stopped by after dinner and said it smelled good, so I sent her home with some to try. Comment with your (honest!) rating when you taste it.

1 comment:

Scott and Valary Smith said...

I loved it and actually I am going to make it for dinner tonight.