Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pan-fried Pizza

*I posted this awhile ago, but I just tried this on the grill instead of the stove-top. I read some recipes online that said you need to brush the dough with olive oil before putting it on the grill, but that wasn't really necessary. It solved the heating-up-the-kitchen problem, besides the fact that you can cook two at a time and get dinner cooked twice as fast.

I didn't think I'd end up posting tonight since I've already posted a pizza recipe, but I got surprisingly good reactions from everyone. I made my pizza dough like I usually do (but I'll include the recipe here again), but cooked it on the stovetop. I thought it would help the heat in my kitchen to not turn on the oven (it has been in the 90's the last few days and we have no a/c). Unfortunately, it still got really warm, but everyone liked the pizza and it was fun to have a change. The crust turned out thin and crispy instead of thick and puffy, a little more authentic Italian I suppose. I doubled the recipe and then froze 3 (of the 8) balls--one recipe wasn't enough and two recipes was too much!

1/2 T. yeast
1 1/4 c. warm water
1/2 t. salt
1 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. flour

Let the yeast dissolve in the warm (not hot) water. Add the rest of the ingredients and knead them for a few minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and oil the outside with olive oil. Cover and let rise for one hour. Punch it down and divide into 4 balls. Let rest for a few minutes. Preheat a skillet over medium heat with a little olive oil. Roll one ball into a 12 inch circle. Cook in the skillet for about 5 minutes until slightly browned. Flip and add toppings. Cover (I just used a piece of aluminum foil loosely placed on top) and cook for a few more minutes, until cheese is melted. Repeat with other balls of dough. Makes 4 pizzas.

Ratings:

Me: Since we made individual pizzas, I got to make my veggie version. I put garlic, mozzarella, thinly sliced yellow squash, tomato slices, roasted peppers, spinach, and fresh basil. YUM. Everyone else had the usual boring plain sauce and cheese.

Hubby: He repeated about three times how good it was. And he is the hardest to please.

5YO: Ate an entire pizza on his own.

4YO: Ate about half a pizza and then went to town on carrots.

1YO: Ate about half a pizza.

No comments: