Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Lemon Chicken with Artichokes

I have only told two people about this blog. My friend, Emily, and my sister, Valary. Valary and I live in the same city, see each other at least a few times a week, and talk and email even more. Almost every time I talk to her I ask her what she is cooking for dinner hoping for a good idea, so we often exchange recipes and meal ideas. So there is really no need to post this for her sake--we would have just talked about it tomorrow. And I got this recipe from Emily, so there is no need to post it for her. So I guess I'm posting it for myself, since I can never remember what I've cooked recently and sometimes I forget about even my favorite recipes, even when they are as great as this one.

6-8 frozen chicken breast halves
1/4 c flour
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
1/2 lb. mushrooms
1 9-oz bottle artichoke hearts (I use frozen or just plain bottled, not marinated)
juice of one lemon (2 1/2 T)
2 t parsley
1/2 c chicken broth

Rinse chicken and coat with flour. Heat butter and oil on medium high. Brown chicken about 5 minutes on each side. Add mushrooms, artichoke hearts and broth. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Remove chicken and vegetables to serving platter. Skim fat from remaining broth, add lemon juice and parsley. Cook over medium heat until desired consistency. Pour over chicken and vegetables.

Emily says about this recipe, "so easy...so yummy," and that about sums it up. I like using more vegetables than is called for, sometimes I throw in extra ones like broccoli or spinach, too. Today was the first time I've used fresh parsley in this recipe (usually I just use dried because I don't have fresh on hand) and it was even better.

Ok, what is wrong with me that I can never get my meat to brown properly? Not just this recipe, but any recipe. I use boneless skinless, is that why? I sometimes skip the flour step, but even with the flour it won't brown for like 15 minutes and by then the chicken is practically cooked through. So I usually just do the 5 minutes like the recipe says, and then it isn't browned but the chicken stays tender instead of being overcooked and dried out. Still yummy, but I wish I could figure out how to brown it. Any pointers?

Tonight I made it with brown rice and a salad. The kids didn't eat the chicken, no big surprise, but it turned out delicious even if it wasn't browned.

No comments: