Thursday, May 22, 2008

Turkey Sausage

First, I just have to say a little bit about the farmers market. I went to one down the street on Saturday, and of course there were some things that were ridiculously expensive, but there were also a lot of fruit and vegetables that were comparably priced to the grocery store, but they tasted SO SO GOOD. I bought some romaine lettuce and some mixed greens that were so fresh and flavorful you could eat them plain. (The previous week I had bought some at Costco. It is like they were completely different products.) I did splurge on a couple things, like the blueberries were almost $5 for a small little clamshell, but then I had a free sample. So worth it.

Tonight for dinner I made the sweet potato hash again, but this time I made the sausage from ground turkey. I'm not sure which way I prefer it, but it is nice to have options, so here is the recipe for turkey sausage.

1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
1 t salt
1 1/2 t ground pepper
1/2 t dried sage
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 1/2 t orange zest (I used lemon only because I didn't have an orange. But orange tastes better.)
dash Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients well. Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Form into sausage links and cook for about 4-5 minutes until browned.

I have never formed them into links, I always just break it up and brown it. I've also used this recipe for pizza or a bread pudding recipe that I have. It doesn't taste exactly like regular sausage, but you'll notice when you cook it up you also don't have to drain off pools of grease, so I often opt for this instead.

No comments: