Friday, May 30, 2008

Mediterranean Soup

I made some soup to go with Leftover Extravaganza, so the soup isn't really filling enough by itself, but it is so yummy I make it for myself a lot. It is my favorite thing to eat on a rainy day.

I got this recipe from a newspaper article showing how you can change up soup ingredients and have a completely different dish. I tried all of them, and this one is by far the best. It is so simple I sometimes make it for lunch while the kids are eating.

1 quart chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 t thyme
couple handfuls of spinach
1/2 c pastina (or other type of small pasta, this time I used broken spaghetti)
Lemon wedges
Parmesan, grated

Saute the onion in olive oil about 5 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and add garlic and thyme. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add spinach and pasta and cook for about 10 more minutes. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of parmesan.

(A comment about the garlic. Sometimes I mince it, because then you aren't surprised with a mouthful of garlic when you're eating the soup, but sometimes I look forward to that whole clove. Depending on my mood. It is soft and flavorful, but since it is simmered it doesn't knock you out. Although my breath after eating it might.)

Ratings:

Me: I left dinner ready for them and went to a meeting, when I got back it was ALL GONE! I was so disappointed.

Hubby: Normally a soup hater, he loved it. He said it was really good and asked me where I got it.

5YO: I once made some soup to use up vegetables in my fridge, and it ended up having potatoes, leeks, and spinach (among other things). I pureed it all together and told the kids it was Jolly Green Giant soup and if they ate it they would turn into a giant. 5YO liked this idea, so he ate the soup. He got over not turning into a giant, and ended up really liking the soup. He even took some to school in his lunch the next day. He was disappointed when it was gone. So now he always hopefully tastes my soups looking for a repeat. He gave it a good shot, ate most of his bowl, but alas it was not the same.

4YO: Nope.

1YO: He liked this soup. And in case you're wondering, it is possible to eat soup with your hands.

1 comment:

The Junior Maxwells said...

Sounds yummy! I'm going to try it!!