Friday, May 30, 2008

Orange Chicken and Rice

I used to mix everything together as the recipe directs, but this time I set out four different bowls to keep the ingredients separate. I think that helped keep people happy. I also steamed some fresh green beans from the farmers market and they were SO good, so much better than grocery store, even the KIDS enjoyed them.


1 c rice (I use brown and let it cook longer)
1 c chicken broth
1 c orange juice (I just spoon out some frozen concentrate and add water)
1/4 t nutmeg
4 cooked chicken breast halves, in bite-size pieces (I used one of those cans from Costco this time)
11-oz can mandarin oranges, drained
1/4 c chopped walnuts


Combine, rice, broth, juice, and nutmeg in a pot over medium heat (I used a rice cooker). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Add chicken to rice, cook another 5 to 7 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in oranges. Sprinkle individual serving with nuts. Makes 4 servings.


Ratings:


Me: I was in a super big hurry (because it was past bedtime...yikes!) and I didn't let the rice cook long enough. I should have just used white rice this time. It was still okay, just required too much chewing. I love the nuts in this recipe.


Hubby: Not a fan.


5YO: It is funny, but when I've served this in the past, he has turned up his nose. But today, since I served them separately, he ate everything (except the nuts). And the green beans!


4YO: She ate a little chicken and rice.


1YO: Loves the oranges, and ate some of the chicken and rice and green beans, too.

No comments: