Saturday, March 14, 2009

Toasted Cumin Chicken with Broccoli and Curried Cashews

This is another recipe from Poor Girl Eats Well. It turned out so good, although next time I'd make a couple modifications.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2009/03/recipe-toasted-cumin-chicken-with.html

I didn't have whole cumin, so I used ground. I'm sure it would be even better with the toasted cumin seed.

There were like three different spice combinations, one for the cashews, one for the chicken, and one for the sauce, but then you mix everything together and they don't hold their own flavor separately. I am never one to go to a lot of extra effort, especially considering my picky audience, so I think that you could simplify the steps (and end up with less bowls to wash) if you just put all the spices in one, like the sauce. Everything else gets covered in the sauce, so I don't think it would make a huge difference in the taste. Also, she says to mix the sauce with the pan juices from the chicken, I think I would prefer to drain the juices and have a thicker sauce.

For the recipe, I wouldn't bother spicing the cashews separately, but I think I might make the cashews just for a fun snack to have around. I put the 1/4 cup in the recipe as directed, and the next time I turned around, my 6yo had eaten the rest of them off the cookie sheet. They were really tasty. She definitely knows how to mix her spices, I never would have thought that nutmeg would go in these.

1 comment:

Kaija said...

YUM! Thanks for the recommendation! This is the best curry I've had in a while! really good with cumin seed.