Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spicy Lentil Tacos

I found this recipe online, and all the comments on it were things like, "It tastes just like meat!" or "My husband couldn't even tell the difference!" Yeah, right. People who say that are people who don't eat meat, so they don't have a point of comparison. That said, I thought this was a tasty substitute for taco meat. But it doesn't taste like meat, and my husband could most definitely tell the difference.

1 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa
tortillas and your typical taco toppings

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly. Stir in salsa. Spoon about 1/4 cup lentil mixture on each tortilla and top with your favorite toppings.

I did find this a little bit too salty. I don't know if I should reduce the chili powder, broth, or salsa, all possible suspects of saltiness. Or maybe a little of all three.

No comments: