Friday, October 30, 2009

Paella

I say it is paella, but it really isn't. It is a rice/seafood/vegetable skillet meal that might make you think of paella, but I know it would never really fool anyone. But it is simple to make and doesn't require saffron which a few threads of costs more than all the other ingredients combined. I quite enjoyed it. This recipe was given to me by my friend Stephanie who I was telling I'd only ever eaten paella in Spain and had never dared attempt it.

2 c chicken broth
1 10 oz bag yellow rice mix
3 oz. chorizo, chopped (or other sausage, linguisa, or pepperoni)
1 c bell pepper, chopped (I used red, it is my fav)
1 lb cooked shrimp
3 lb scallops (I think I used half this amount)
1 c frozen peas
In a 10 inch frying pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice mix, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small frying pan over medium heat, stir chorizo and pepper until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for about 4 minutes, remove from heat.
Stir shrimp mixture, scallops, and peas into rice mixture and cook over medium heat, covered, until scallops are no longer translucent, about 4 minutes.

No comments: