Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Fettuccine Alfredo

I have two variations for this. Neither one is "real" alfredo, both are much healthier than "real" alfredo. The first one is lower fat, but the second one is closer to the creamy texture of real alfredo. (The fat in #2 is from cashews, which is unsaturated better for you fats, while real alfredo uses butter and cream, which are saturated fats, not so good for you.)

I usually serve this with chicken, and often I'll stir in broccoli or spinach.

#1. Fettuccine Alfredo Lite

12 oz. fettuccine

1 1/2 T margarine

3 cloves garlic

1/8 t nutmeg

pepper to taste

1/4 c grated parmesan cheese

1 1/2 t basil

1 can evaporated skim milk

1/4 c parsley, chopped

Cook fettuccine and drain. Return to pan, stir in margarine and garlic, mixing gently to coat pasta. Add milk, cheese, basil, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until just thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper and parsley.

#2. Cashew Alfredo

My dietician friend has a vegetarian recipe blog that she and some friends do together. You can see this recipe here and be sure to check out the other recipes. I've found several great recipes there.

You'll notice he says it needs salt, and it does. In fact, I think it needs CHEESE. (He didn't because he was making it vegan.) I added grated parmesan instead of adding salt.

No surprise that 5-yo doesn't eat it, but I just make sure to leave some plain pasta for her. The other kids like it, as long as I go easy on the pepper.

No comments: