Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Zucchini and Tomato One Pot Wonder

My friend Kathi gave me this recipe saying, "It sounds really gross." So maybe I liked it so much because I had low expectations, but it was easy to make, loaded with vegetables, and like Kathi says you can feed five on a dollar.

1/2 package ground turkey
1 c finely shredded carrot
1/2 onion, chopped
Zucchini, finely shredded
3-4 tomatoes, chopped
Mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper

Combine turkey and carrot. Brown meat with onions. On top of meat, layer zucchini, tomatoes, and cheese. Salt zucchini and tomato layers. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.

I served it over brown rice because it seemed like it needed to be over something. Mine turned out really watery (maybe too much zucchini), maybe next time I'll simmer uncovered.

Everyone tried some. Some opted for plain rice after that. I thought it was really good. The tomatoes were from the farmers market and were so flavorful, it was amazing. I enjoyed it, and look forward to more easy yummy recipes from Kathi.

No comments: