Friday, September 12, 2008

Potato Salad

One of my very first posts was my mom's recipe for potato salad, but I just recently found a different recipe that I think will take over from now on. It uses olive oil in the dressing instead of mayonnaise, and it just tastes lighter and fresher, but still the same tang and crunch of potato salad. But since it is oil, which congeals when it is cold, it has to be served warm or room temperature. So not good to make ahead.

2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 large), cut into uniform 1/2 to 1-inch pieces (I used red potatoes though)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put potatoes into a saucepan, cover with an inch of cold water. Salt the water (about a teaspoon and a half for 2 quarts of water). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain well.


Put potatoes in a large serving bowl with the celery, red onion, olives, and parsley. Add the rice vinegar and oil while the potatoes are still warm, so they absorb the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm. Serves 4 to 6.

Ratings:
Okay, the truth is I didn't make this for my family. I volunteered to take it to church for a meeting where they served lunch. So I'm the only one who tasted it. And it was yummy.

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Found this on Kaija's blog. I had a spoonful of your potato salad. I second the yummy.