Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cilantro Noodle Bowl

I got this recipe from a real recipe blog, 101 Cookbooks. Her recipes always look good, but this might be the first one I've ever actually tried. They usually call for unique ingredients that I don't have on hand so it takes some planning ahead. You'll find this recipe at http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/cilantro-noodle-bowl-recipe.html

I made this last week, with broccoli instead of romanesco since I'd never heard of romanesco before. I'm not sure if I like soba noodles? They were a nice change, but I'm not sure if I could eat them all the time. But of course it is easy to substitute a different kind of noodle, even spaghetti would work here. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law were here and they both said they liked it, and even my husband liked it okay. The kids I didn't even expect them to try it, I just made them spaghetti (multigrain) and they had it with cheese on top.

I had trouble with my tofu. I got the extra firm kind, but it was not firm enough to hold up in my pan. I think browning it would have added some flavor, but the only brown parts got stuck to the bottom of my pan.

Guess what? I found romanesco at the farmers market on Saturday. So I'm going to make it again this week. Yum. I'll let you know how the romanesco is.

1 comment:

Maren said...

I tried the romanesco. It was crunchier than the broccoli, I wish I'd cooked it a little longer. 6YO ate some (Christmas trees he called them) but the flavor was pretty neutral, so I wouldn't go out of your way to find some. But it was interesting to try.