Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

I've been trying to eat more filling breakfasts to make it through until lunch.  I've been experimenting with some different oatmeal recipes just for variety.  Overnight oats are convenient, but cold.  Overnight slow cooker oats are warm, but then I have to wash the crockpot.  Baked oatmeal I thought would be interesting...but it is just oatmeal.  And the biggest problem was I was starving while waiting the 35 minutes it needed to cook and I ate a brownie.  The oatmeal turned out yummy, but I could have made it in the microwave and skipped the brownie--that would have been a better plan.

So what I discovered worked best for me (both logistically and taste-wise) was to make a batch of my favorite oatmeal, then keep it in the fridge and warm up a serving every morning.  It was fun trying some different flavors from recipes, but one of them tops them all.  Pumpkin pie.  I based it on this recipe but wanted something warm.

1 c steel cut (or any kind--enough for 4 servings) oats
1 15-oz. can pumpkin
1/4 c chia seeds (optional)
1/4 c maple syrup, or to taste
2 T pumpkin pie spice, or to taste
milk
walnuts

Make the oats according to package directions.  When finished cooking, remove from heat and add chia seeds and some milk and stir well to prevent them from clumping.  The chia seeds will absorb liquid, but you can make it whatever consistency you like.  Add the pumpkin, syrup, and spice and mix to combine.  Add more milk if necessary.  To serve, sprinkle with walnuts.  When reheating, I usually add more milk.

No comments: