Thursday, May 15, 2014

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

I wanted to make some chicken sandwiches, and my usual "recipe" is to put some chicken breasts in the crockpot and dump in some bottled bbq sauce.  (Sometimes I get fancy and slice some onions and grate some carrots in there too.)  But there are many reasons to not use bottled bbq sauce, the most important of which was I only had a few drips left in the bottle.  So I looked online and, oh my, people have very strong feelings about barbecue sauce.  I'm pretty sure this particular recipe is heresy so no offense intended to the believers, but it met my criteria:  it used what I had around and was only slightly harder than dumping in a bottle.

I liked the flavor, it was much less sweet than the bottled version so it worked well to use as an ingredient in a dish rather than a condiment.  If I wanted to make it to use as regular bbq sauce, I would probably want to sweeten it up and use tomato paste/less tomatoes not sure what proportions--this was really watery.  Also, it would need to simmer to melt the sugar and get all the flavors mingling, I didn't do that since it was going in the crockpot.

1 15oz can tomatoes (I used diced, drained off what liquid I could, then used an immersion blender to puree it.  I'm sure other types of canned tomatoes would work, perhaps better.)
1/2 c molasses (this gave it a bitter flavor, which I liked but you might want to start with less if you aren't sure)
1/4 c brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 T Worcestershire sauce
3 T white vinegar
1 1/2 t smoked paprika (alternately I saw a couple recipes calling for chipotles, which would also give a smoky flavor with some extra kick)
3/4 t pepper
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t seasoned salt

I used 5 chicken half breasts for this amount of sauce.  Also, I didn't measure with actual measuring cups and spoons--everything is to taste!

No comments: