Friday, March 19, 2010

Tomato Soup

This isn't really a dinner. But when 5-yo asks for peas and rice, you drop all dinner plans and make it. This actually started as an act of desperation. Many many years ago, in the mtc cafeteria, I was forced to get creative. The entrees offered were just not good. Usually some kind of frozen breaded thing accompanied with overcooked vegetables and gravy. But, if the choices were bleak, there were many. I would explore the sides and the salad bar and see if I could come up with something I could stomach. One day, I scooped some rice and peas into my bowl and then filled it up with tomato soup. Top it off with some pepper and it was definitely the best thing I ever ate there. So every once in awhile, just for fun, I make some. (Usually for lunch.) It has probably been a year or two since I've made it, I'm surprised she even remembers, but for some reason she got a hankering for the peas and rice (sans soup). AND......drumroll, please......she cleaned her plate. There were peas on that plate!

Now here is one last tip, you can of course get tomato soup from a box, or can, or whatever. When I don't have one of those readily available, in a four cup measure, I mix a can of tomato paste with a can of chicken broth, then fill it up to four cups with milk. Heat in the microwave.

No comments: