Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jen's Spaghetti Sauce

Like forever ago, my friend Jen commented on this blog with her recipe for spaghetti sauce. The only problem is since it is in the comments, I can never find it! Since the point of this blog is to keep track of recipes, here it is in its own post with its own title.

When I made it, I used onions, too. I also chopped things up a bit with an immersion blender at the end, thought the kids would prefer it that way. We didn't do the spaghetti squash although that sounds delicious. It tasted better the day after I made it.

Oh, and weird but here the Senter Rd. Costco has the tomatoes, but not the Almaden one.

Buy a #10 can of diced tomatoes from Costco. Chop a couple carrots, celery stalks and zucchini. Sautee them in a little olive oil in a large pot and add a bit of garlic toward the end. When they are done, dump in the tomatoes and sprinkle some italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for a couple hours until the liquid has cooked off. Serve over spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave by piercing it with a fork and cooking for about 8-10 minutes. Then you can cut it open and scoop out the inside. This is a big hit in our house and makes lots of leftovers.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I feel so honored to have my own post! I am glad you like it. It is a staple in our home. I will try your tweaks and so how we like it!