Sunday, February 21, 2010

What are your favorite potatoes?

My dad's favorite food: mashed potatoes. His second favorite food: baked potatoes. What we ate a lot of growing up: potatoes. So in my own house I tend to shy away from them. I don't dislike them, I'm just kind of done. When I do make potatoes, they are a small addition to the dish, not the main ingredient. And I like the potatoes that you can keep the skin on, like red potatoes or yukon gold. Healthier and more convenient.

So, what do you do when you get a coupon for a 10 lb. bag of potatoes for 69 cents? Yes, the big russetts. I'm tempted to give them to my dad, but then why did I buy them in the first place?

When I bought them, I also noticed some leeks for a good price, so I'll use a few of them to make potato and leek soup, or Jolly Green Giant Soup as my kids like to call it. But I'm not feeling much inspiration for the remaining 9 pounds. Not that anyone even reads this blog, but just in case someone with a great potato recipe or idea does, please let me know about it. Before they spoil sitting on my counter.

3 comments:

Kaija said...

i love roasted potatoes (and carrots). Cut them into bit sized pieces, coat with olive oil, salt, pepper and italian seasoning, put them on a (tinfoiled) baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. YUM!

Jen said...

Hey - I read your blog! No great ideas though :) My girlfriend has a recipe blog and is planning to print it for her kids when they leave for college. I thought that was a cool idea.

Erin said...

I read your blog too!!! In the December 2009 Martha Stewart Everyday Food has an AWESOME recipe for a Crispy Potato Roast. I would guess that you can find the recipe at www.marthastewart.com It calls for 4 pounds of russets so you can use up a big chunk of that huge bag of spuds!
Cheers!