Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chicken and Apricots

This flavor combination reminded me of the pomegranate chicken I tried a couple months ago, and like then, I was the only one who really liked it. But I made couscous with it (instead of the orzo--and then didn't mix it in the final step of course) which kept the kids happy.

I tore this out of a magazine but don't remember which one. I'm usually not a fan of canned fruit, but this recipe looked so fast and easy I wanted to give it a try.

1 1/4 c dried orzo (8 oz.)
1 15 oz. can unpeeled apricot halves (light syrup)
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 t curry powder (I used slightly less, and was glad that I did)
2 T olive oil
6 green onions

Cook orzo according to package, drain. Drain apricots, reserving 1/2 c of syrup.

Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and 1/2 t curry powder. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once. Add apricots the last two minutes. Transfer to plates.

Chop onions, add with remaining curry powder to skillet, cook one minute. Stir in reserved syrup and orzo. Add to plates.

No comments: