Saturday, May 30, 2009

Slow-Cooker Italian Wedding Soup

Super easy. From my friend Kathi's website, but I couldn't figure out how to make it link there, so I'll just copy/paste. Sorry Kathi. I tried the turkey like she suggested, but I'm not sure they worked very well. Probably beef works better. I used spinach (and added it at the end) instead of escarole. What I had.

"I might add a little less pasta because it expands like crazy. You could use ground turkey in place of beef if you would like."

Slow-Cooker Italian Wedding Soup

1 egg, lightly beaten

3/4 pound lean ground beef

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

3 tablespoons plain bread crumbs

3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

8 cups low-sodium chicken broth

3 large carrots, chopped

1 small head escarole, washed, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips

1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

1-3/4 cups acini di pepe pasta

Directions:1. In a large bowl, stir together egg, beef, onion, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, 1 tablespoon parsley and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Form into 1-inch meatballs and place on baking sheet; refrigerate while preparing soup.

2. Combine broth, carrots, escarole and oregano in slow cooker. Gently add meatballs. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Stir in pasta for last 20 minutes of cook time. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sprinkle each serving with remaining parsley and Parmesan cheese and serve.

No comments: