Friday, September 20, 2013

Farro and Roasted Vegetable Salad (a la Pasta Pomodoro)

Before I forget...

I've made this recipe a few times, and always have to re-remember it each time I do.  I ate a farro and roasted vegetable salad at Pasta Pomodoro a few years ago and loved it.  It isn't always on the menu when I go, maybe it is seasonal?  Anyway, I'm sure I'm not remembering it correctly, but this is at least a start.

Farro can be expensive, but a little bit goes a long way.  It is a very hearty and filling grain, so makes this salad a perfect main dish.  (The first time I ate it, I added shrimp to make sure it filled me up, and of course it was delicious but completely unnecessary.)  If you can't find or afford farro, substitute any grain like rice, quinoa, barley, cracked wheat, even couscous.

1 c farro, cook according to package directions

While still warm, toss with vinaigrette:
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
2 T olive oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 T maple syrup

Roast vegetables at 400 tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Try to keep them separate since some things cook faster than others, some will be done in 20 minutes, others 30-40.  Take them out when they start to brown.  (Alternately, you can grill them.)

1-2 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 lb. asparagus, cut on the diagonal

Toss farro with roasted vegetables and kalamata olives, top with shaved parmesan cheese.

I think the original salad I ate might have had sun-dried tomatoes in it.  Many recipes with roasted zucchini also have roasted eggplant, so maybe this one did, too, but I can't remember this one having eggplant.  But I'm sure the vegetables are very interchangeable.

Serve cold, warm, or room temperature.

3 comments:

beth said...

what is farro? i havent heard of it! this sounds delicious !

Maren said...

If I were a real foodie I'd give a very scientific sounding definition, including how it was used by different cultures throughout the ages...I think it is a grain. If not technically a grain, it is used in cooking like a grain. It tends to be expensive (as far as grains go), so it could easily be subbed with rice or quinoa or couscous or whatever. This time I made it for a baby shower, so I went all out and used the real deal, I bought it at Whole Foods. It has a nice chewy texture and is very filling.

Maren said...

HA! After posting my comment I reread the original post and half the stuff I said was repeating myself!! Sorry Beth! I guess the helpful information is that I bought it at Whole Foods, although I bet Sprouts would have it, too. The package I got is called "Emmer Farro" and seemed like it was darker in color than what I ate at the restaurant, so maybe it is a different type, but the taste was pretty neutral in both cases.